The 2013 John Molson MBA Case Writing Competition is pleased to invite submissions of original business case studies, either in English or French. The purpose of this Competition is to generate unpublished and unused case studies to be used during the 2013 John Molson MBA International Case Competition. The cases submitted will be used only for this purpose and will be released to the case writers immediately after the competition, which ends on January 11th, 2013. The submitted cases used during the Case Competition will be translated into English or French, as the case may be, and the translated versions will also be remitted to the case writer.
Aimed at students in MBA programs, the cases and associated material must:
- Concentrate in the area of Strategic Management with specific issues in operations, mergers/acquisitions, diversification, sustainability, finance, globalization, implementation, entrepreneurship, HR, ethics, governance, CSR or other specific areas in any size of for-profit or non-profit firms
- Have a maximum of 20 pages of narrative text with a limit of 250 words per page, double spaced (maximum 5,000 words total) and no more than 30 pages when including financial and other appendices (case text is not permitted in appendices)
- Be based on either field research or research from secondary sources and should describe a recent business situation in an actual organization. Some details may be altered slightly if necessary to obtain authorization from the organization in question to release the case
- Be written in English or French
- Include a brief teaching note explaining the key issues and the teaching objectives
- Be submitted in electronic format (.doc or .docx file)
The final decision on the cases rests with a selection committee consisting solely of executives on the Case Competition Board of Directors, together with the Director of the Case Competition. This decision cannot be contested or challenged. However, the unselected cases will be given feedback on why their entry was not considered for final selection.
Theme - INTEGRATION!
The theme for this year's competition is "Integration" - integration of a business with its industry, integration of a business with its suppliers, integration of a business with its consumers, integration of a business with its operating location - and various other examples. Case-writers are encouraged to compose cases which encompass the main tenets of integration and how a business cannot succeed without an essential analysis of its integration capabilities. Though the cases could be based on Integration, it should eventually be from a strategic point of view with a focus, possibly, on the various disciplines of management. Please note that it is NOT mandatory to submit cases based on this theme, however, such cases would be highly appreciated since it aligns with the theme of the entire competition.
Prizes & Incentives (in Canadian $)
- First Prize: $10,000 - The case writer will also be invited as a Guest of the Case Competition to attend the final presentation and the closing banquet at which he/she will receive the first place prize and a maximum of $2,000 for travel expenses
- Second Prize: $5,000
- Third Prize: $3,000
- Additional Cases: Three other cases used during the Case Competition will be awarded $1,000 each.
Note: The first prize winner will be notified by December 6th, 2012. Other winners will be notified during the week of January 6th, 2013.
*In the event of having more than one author for a particular case, the prize money will be shared equally among all the winners.
Contact: Simon Ainsworth, Director, 2013 John Molson MBA Case Writing Competition, firstname.lastname@example.org