The University of Stellenbosch Business School (USB) is highly respected in the international business school community. It is one of Africa’s top business schools and is internationally accredited by three accreditation bodies: EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB. More information is available at http://www.usb.ac.za/AboutUs/AccreditationsAndRatings.aspx
The Director is responsible for the strategic positioning of the Business School within Stellenbosch University’s Institutional Intent and Strategy (available at www.bit.ly/stellenbosch-thoughtleaders); and, for this purpose, the School’s existing reputation for relevance and excellence should be leveraged and further enhanced in an innovative and proactive manner to ensure optimal alignment with the rapidly changing needs of both the local and international business communities.
We are looking for the right person to join the University in this key position – a person who has the necessary background, standing, networks and abilities to provide appropriate leadership to the School on this exciting, ongoing and challenging journey.
- Recruiting, leading and developing high-level academic staff
- developing revenue streams for the procurement of intellectual and physical capital
- managing the local and international quality assurance processes
- continually enhancing the quality of the academic portfolio with responsive and flexible programme design, delivery, evaluation and client service
- enhancing the international standing of staff, students and programmes
- managing the Business School brand and managing the competitive positioning of the institution
- promoting the Business School’s involvement in the business, government and societal sectors
- managing sound relations with all stakeholders.
Requirements for appointment:
- Proven success as an academic and in the field of academic management and/or a proven record of excellence in high-level management within a corporate environment to enable appointment at least at associate professorial level
- demonstrated innovative and dynamic leadership skills at a high level
- proven strategic planning and implementation abilities
- ability to effect change
- ability to maintain and develop successful partnerships, both nationally and internationally
- excellent communication skills
- sound interpersonal relationship skills
- fluency in English
- thorough understanding of governance in its broader sense
- critical understanding of the ever-changing requirements of the industry
- the ability to embrace and promote inclusivity
- ability to align the Business School to the needs of the 21st century.
- PhD, or equivalent qualification
- the ability to function effectively in a multilingual environment where Afrikaans and English are the dominant languages
- experience in tertiary-level teaching
- a proven research record.
Term of appointment: Five years with the possibility of re-appointment for another term.
Commencement of duties: 1 January 2014 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing date: 26 November 2013
Enquiries regarding the job content: Prof. Johann de Villiers, Dean: Faculty of Economic & Management Sciences, on +27 21 808 2248 or at email@example.com
Applications, comprising the documentation as set out below, must be addressed to the Chief Director: Strategic Initiatives & Human Resources, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland 7602 or via fax to +27 21 808 2484. Applications should preferably be forwarded electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Required documentation: A comprehensive curriculum vitae • a concise statement in which candidates outline their vision of the USB’s future and their contribution to such a future • details regarding the applicant’s present occupation, remuneration package and citizenship • an indication of the earliest date on which duties can be assumed • certified copies of certificates • details of at least three referees.
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps.
Candidates should note that, as part of the selection process, they may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.