The judging panel consisted of Vladimir Nanut of the MIB School of Management in Italy, Al Rosenbloom of the Dominican University in the USA, and Leif Sjoblom of IMD, Switzerland. The panel selected short-listed cases, reviewed them, and evaluated them on the basis of the competition criteria.
The winning case study of the 2016 competition is Zoona Mobile Money: Investing for Impact by Mr. John Bazley, Ms. Cynthia Schweer Rayner and Mrs. Aunnie Patton Power from the University of Cape Town, South Africa. The judges' evaluation is: “A two-part, decision-oriented case about the social impact of investment choices for a start-up, delivering mobile money in Zambia. Both cases are very well written and outline the sequence of events and challenges that the start-up faced at each step of its development. The key decision which group of investors to select is complex and requires sustained, detailed, critical evaluation. The teaching note is excellent, leading instructors through a logical sequence of introductory and financial analyses”.
The first runner-up of the competition was a case study written by Dr. Nimruji Jammulamadaka, Prof. Prashant Mishra, and Assoc. Prof. Biswatosh Saha, from the Indian Institute of Management in Calcutta, titled Mio Amore: Surviving Brand Change in Transition Economy.
The third place went to Prof. Mathew Tsamenyi from China Europe International Business School and Ms. Nana Yaa Antwi-Gyamfi from China Europe International Business School, Africa Campus, in Ghana, for their case study Trashy Bags: Sustainability Crisis of a Sustainable Business.
The value of the total prize pool is over 10,000 euros with monetary awards and scholarships for attending CEEMAN’s IMTA-International Management Teachers Academy in Bled for the first three places in the competition, as well as a 12-month free subscription to an Emerald journal for the top-10 case authors.
Besides the three, these are the case studies that made it among the top 10 of this year’s competition:
- JD.com: Leveraging the Edge of E-Business, Prof. Allan KK Chan, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong; Mr. Long Zhao, University of Alberta, Canada and Dr. Caleb Huanyong Chen, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong
- With your Headphones on: Go Global or Stay Local? Written by Asst. Prof. Mariola Ciszewska-Mlinaric, Kozminski University, Poland; Asst. Prof. Aleksandra Wąsowska, Univerity of Warsaw, Poland; Dr. Piotr Wójcik, Kozminski University, Poland and Prof. Krzysztof Obłój, University of Warsaw, Poland
- PRIRAZLOMNOYE written by Dr. Tomasz Olejniczak, Asst. Prof. Anna Pikos and Mr. Jonathan Sidor from Kozminski University, Poland
- Upgrading Organizational Effectiveness and Management Professionalism: A Case Study of Pronadz Reka Bina Sdn. Bhd. written by Dr. Nik Maheran Nik Muhammad, Universiti Malaysia Kelantan, Malaysia; and Dr. Filzah Md Isa, Taylors University, Lake Campus, Malaysia
- Sabli Food Industries: what next? written by Dr. Zainal Abidin Mohamed and Miss Nor Surilawani Sulaiman, Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia, Graduate School of Muamalat, Malaysia
- 5FM: Youth Radio in the Digital Age written by Prof. Russell Abratt, Ms. Justine Cullinan and Dr. Amanda Bowen from University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Frequlicer - A Million Dollar Illusion or Reality written by Mr. Umer Hussain, Comsats Islamabad, Pakistan
The authors of the winning case are invited to the 24th CEEMAN Annual Conference in Tallinn, Estonia, on 28-30 September 2016, to receive the award personally. In addition, all case submissions will be considered for publication in the Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies collection, which will further increase the international reputation and visibility, not only of the case writers, but also of their institutions.
For more information on the CEEMAN Case Writing Competition and past winners, please visit www.ceeman.org/cwc.