Vilnius University was established in 1579 - more than 440 years ago. The beginning of teaching economics disciplines at Vilnius University is related to the establishment of the University, and J. Stroinovskis (1752-1815) – the first lecturer of the natural law course. VU Statute of 1803 projected new economics disciplines dedicated to the treasury, trade, statistics. In the same period, the first department of The Political Economy was established.
The Faculty of Economics Sciences was established on the 1st of September, 1940, when the government of Lithuania, occupied by the Soviet Union at the time, decided to found the Faculty of Economics Sciences by dividing the Faculty of Law into two: Faculties of Law, and Economics Sciences. The newly established Faculty of Economics Sciences, led by the Dean A. Rimka, had seven departments: Marxism-Leninism, Political Economy, Finance and Credit, Statistics and Financial Mathematics, Economic and Social Policy, Corporate Economics and Accountability, Cooperation.
After the restoration of independence of Lithuania, Vilnius University had three related faculties: Faculty of Commerce,Faculty of Production Economics and Management, Faculty of Economics Cybernetics and Finances. In 1991, according to the new Statute, the former economics faculties were merged into one Faculty of Economics. Three years ago, the faculty changed its name to the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration to emphasize the significance of two core activity areas – economics and business management.
Read more on Faculty of Economics and Business Administration of Vilnius University, Lithuania: https://www.evaf.vu.lt/en/about-the-faculty